Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) just published its Mobile Application Security Report revealing that a large number of mobile applications are collecting alarming quantities of data.
The press release states that “modern mobile applications are collecting, transmitting and storing a wide range of data that often is not necessary to the application’s function, and can cause significant financial and reputational damage if a vulnerability is exploited.”
Some of the top findings from the report include:
- A majority of mobile applications track your location, but not all of them need to
- Games and weather applications are collecting calendar data
- Ad and analytics frameworks put your most sensitive data at risk
The major takeaways for consumers are:
- Select applications wisely
- Be wary of applications storing large amounts of data
This report focused on what HPE believed to be legitimate apps, and found this data collection alarming. Even more alarming to us is the huge number of rogue apps in the mobile app marketplaces collecting even more data. It’s imperative that brand owners aggressively monitor their IP to protect against the potential financial and reputational damage this report highlights.
If you are a brand owner concerned about how your IP is being abused in the app world, drop us a note for a free consultation to see how we might help you protect your brands.